Monkey Island deserves to be a starting point for a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh City. The highlight of this island is the mischievous monkeys that show little fear towards humans. In addition, its verdant forests, soothing vibe, and stunning landscape will make your visit worthwhile.
1. Where is Monkey Island Ho Chi Minh City? How is Monkey Island weather?
- Location: Long Hoa, Can Gio, Ho Chi Minh City
- Opening hours: 7 am - 5 pm
- Ticket fee: 35,000 VND
Nestled in Can Gio Biosphere Mangrove Reserve, which is considered the green lung of Ho Chi Minh City, Monkey Island is enclosed by coastal waters and boasts a range of dense mangrove forests, mud flats, wetlands, salt marshes, and tidal channels.
The average temperature of Monkey Island Vietnam ranges from 26 to 32 degrees Celsius. There are two seasons here, which are the dry season (from April to November) and the rainy season (from December to March). Tourists should visit the island in the dry season.
2. How to get to Monkey Island Can Gio in Ho Chi Minh City?
Monkey Island Vietnam lies about 50 kilometers away from the city center. The most popular ways to get here are by motorbike or bus:
- By motorbike: It takes about one and a half hours to get from the city center to the island. To avoid getting lost, tourists can follow this route: Tan Thuan Bridge - Nguyen Van Linh Road - Huynh Tan Phat Road - Binh Khanh Ferry Terminal. Once arriving at the ferry terminal, take a boat to the island.
- By bus: After arriving at Ben Thanh Market, catch the bus number 20 to Nha Be District and get off at Binh Khanh Ferry Terminal. Or, you can catch the bus number 75 which departs from 23/9 Park and arrives at Can Thanh Bus Station, then go to the ferry terminal.
Besides, Binh Khanh Ferry Terminal is also accessible via other means of transportation, such as train, passenger bus, taxi, etc.
3. Top things to do on your excursion to Monkey Island Can Gio
There is so much to be explored on the island. If you do not know where to start, check out the list of amazing things to do below:
3.1. Learn about the behavior and activities of monkeys
It is no wonder that Monkey Island is an ideal destination to observe wildlife up close, as it is inhabited by more than 2,000 long-tailed macaques. The monkeys live in groups and share a community spirit similar to the human society. You can see the monkeys wander around, play with other monkeys, or take care of each other.
Interaction between the monkeys and tourists is another interesting thing to see on the island. Although most of the monkeys are friendly, they sometimes snatch the belongings of tourists. Thus, mind your belongings.
3.2. Take a day boat trip to the mangrove forests
Instead of trekking which is a common way of getting around the island, in Monkey Island Can Gio, tourists are offered a boat ride. You will be taken through the enchanting mangrove forests along the inlets that are covered by lush green aquatic plants. You can even see thousands of bats sleeping in the swamp in the day.
3.3. Visit and explore the significance of Rung Sac Military Base
It must be delightful for history buffs to know that the island is just a few kilometers away from the historical site of Rung Sac Military Base. In the Second Indochina War against the US, this was dubbed as the land of death, as it had witnessed about 600 battles of various scales and numerous casualties.
Here, there are many lively statues that depict the life of Vietnamese soldiers in wartime. They help show the young generation about the sacrifice of their ancestors, as well as the significance of peace and independence.
3.4. Experience crocodile fishing in the island
Crocodile fishing is another highly sought-after activity for tourists when visiting Monkey Island Vietnam. The crocodiles are raised at crocodile farms before being released into the wild. Upon arriving at the crocodile-fishing spot, tourists will board a special boat equipped with protective fences and are given fishing rods and bait to feed the crocodiles. The sight of the crocodiles jumping out of the water and snapping at the bait will be such a thrilling experience that you should not miss out on.
4. Some notes for your day trips from Ho Chi Minh City Center to Monkey Island
For your perfect excursion to Monkey Island Vietnam, do not forget to:
- Mind your belongings, as the mischievous monkeys may snatch them while you are not aware
- Bring sunscreen and mosquito repellent, as the dense forests provide an ideal environment for mosquitos
- Prepare extra petroleum for your vehicles, as there are few petrol stations on the way to the island
- Bring drinks and snacks to recharge yourself, in case you get hungry in the middle of the journey
- Stop by Thanh Lich Restaurant in Can Gio Town and Ut Ngoc Restaurant in Can Thanh Town, which are famous for fresh seafood, if you are in the mood for some delicious local dishes
In addition to Monkey Island, Ho Chi Minh City is also home to numerous other tourist attractions, such as War Remnants Museum, Independence Palace, Jade Emperor Pagoda, Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, to name a few. Thus, do not forget to include them in your itinerary. In case you want to travel to other destinations from Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Da Nang are some highly recommended cities.
To make sure your holiday will go smoothly, for each destination you plan to visit, book your accommodation in advance. It should have a prime location for convenience, along with excellent amenities and services, like the hotels and resorts of Vinpearl.
Vinpearl’s upscale properties are scattered from the north to the south of Vietnam. Most of them offer breathtaking beach views and a wide selection of accommodations, ranging from deluxe rooms and elegant suites to private villas. They also bring outstanding services and state-of-the-art amenities, including outdoor infinity swimming pools, world-quality restaurants, spas, shopping sites, etc.
Some Vinpearl properties you should note down for your perfect Vietnam getaway:
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc blends in sublimely with the stunning beauty of nature in Long Beach, Phu Quoc. In addition to intricately-built hotels and resorts, the complex also features VinWonders Phu Quoc - the largest theme park in Vietnam, and Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc - the first semi-wild animal care and conservation park in Vietnam.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang has 6 luxury hotels and resorts in Nha Trang. 5 of them are located on Hon Tre Island and the remaining property is located in the city center, which offer guests easy access to famous tourist attractions both on and off the coast. Notably, while staying on Hon Tre Island, you should not miss out on VinWonders Nha Trang. This amusement park has 6 subdivisions that come with countless exhilarating games and activities, bringing you an ideal family vacation.
- Vinpearl Hoi An: With limitless views of the bright blue of Cua Dai Beach (Vinpearl Resort & Spa Hoi An) or Binh Minh Beach (Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An) and a modern touch of exquisite architecture, this is a perfect accommodation system for romantic travelers. For endless fun, head to VinWonders Nam Hoi An, where you can expect lots of great cultural experiences.
- Vinpearl Da Nang: Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang is nestled along Non Nuoc Beach, which is ranked among the most attractive beaches on the planet by the Forbes magazine. It offers a collection of 122 neoclassical-style villas for luxury travelers to choose from.
Monkey Island, with its pristine beauty of nature, fresh atmosphere, and impressive biosystem, will fill your day trip from Ho Chi Minh City with endless intrigues. Without a doubt, an excursion to this island is definitely worth a spot on your bucket list.