Ben Dinh War Tunnels, a part of the Cu Chi Tunnels network, is famous for its part in the victory of the Indochina Wars. Located around 50 kilometers away from Ho Chi Minh City, the tunnel has been preserved well despite its age.
1. The history of the formation of Ben Dinh War Tunnels
Ben Dinh War Tunnels is situated in Ben Dinh Village, about 50 kilometers away from Ho Chi Minh City. It is a part of Cu Chi Tunnels, an underground work used by South Vietnamese forces against foreign invaders.
Cu Chi Tunnels was built during the resistance war against French colonizers in 1948. In 1967, the use of tunnels grew vital throughout the whole Cu Chi District. In particular, the part of Ben Dinh War Tunnels is an ideal safe base that covers more than 100 hectares under an eucalyptus forest. From here, Vietnamese soldiers could withdraw safely towards Saigon River when the enemy made sweeps.
After 1975, Ben Dinh War Tunnels were well-preserved and open for tourists to visit. Here, you can contemplate the underground structure and the heroic spirit of Vietnamese people.
2. The historical significance of Ben Dinh Cu Chi Tunnels Saigon
Ben Dinh War Tunnels were built entirely by the hands of thousands of Vietnamese people with rudimentary tools like hoes and shovels. Due to frequent air raids, the tunnel had to be dug time and time again. The establishment of Ben Dinh War Tunnels shows the indomitable spirit of Vietnamese people, who could make innumerable feats in the resistance wars.
The tunnel was mainly used by Vietnamese forces to transport supplies, brief missions, provide medical treatments, hide from air raids and surprise attacks, etc. In recognition of the tunnel’s unique structure and great historical significance, Ho Chi Minh City is taking the necessary steps so that the whole Cu Chi Tunnels can be listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
3. What to do on your excursion to Ben Dinh Saigon Tunnels?
Cu Chi Tunnels in general and Ben Dinh War Tunnels in particular welcome hundreds of thousands of tourists every year. This historical attraction was also visited by many country's official figures around the world.
3.1. Explore the underground tunnels
Following the narrow pathways in the tunnels, visitors can see all sorts of war facilities, including surgery rooms, meeting rooms, small kitchens, etc. Notably, there is a system of deep tunnels used as a place to live, take shelter, store weapons, etc.
On the ground, there is an M41 tank of the US Army that was entangled by Vietnamese guerrillas in 1970. Visitors can also watch documentary films to understand more about the history of establishment and development of the whole Cu Chi Tunnels system.
3.2. Join thrilling recreational activities
Visitors may engage in a variety of different activities close to the Cu Chi Tunnels in addition to visiting Ben Dinh War Tunnels, such as:
- Try your aim in a shooting range: There is a shooting range that offers travelers a chance to shoot real guns. A variety of guns such as AK47 or M16 are available for you to try your aim under supervision. You will have a chance to test your aiming skills by shooting at various targets.
- Enjoy local delicacies: There is a prominent local restaurant located along the nearby Saigon River.Here, you can try many specialties of the Southeast region, such as braised fish, fish paper rolls, sour soup made of Giang leaves, Vietnamese pancakes, etc.
- Buy souvenirs: There is a souvenir area where visitors can purchase souvenirs made from bullet casings, oil lamps, lighters, ballpoint pens, straps, or sandals made from old tires. There are also many handmade products from the craft villages in Cu Chi.
Besides Ben Dinh War Tunnels, Ho Chi Minh City also has many other famous attraction for tourists to explore, such as Sai Gon Central Post Office, Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, Independence Palace, Saigon War Remnants Museum, Hanh Thong Tay Market, Nguyen Hue Street, Ho Chi Minh City Opera House, Landmark 81 Vietnam, etc.
And if you have completed your tour around Ho Chi Minh City, consider visiting Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Da Nang for even more fantastic experiences. These top destinations are waiting for you to discover the idyllic beauty of nature and the heroic history of Vietnam.
No matter where you choose to go next, finding the appropriate accommodation is crucial. Vinpearl, the leading hospitality brand in Vietnam, offers a range of quality resorts and services. Present in most of Vietnam’s touristy cities, Vinpearl has all sorts of luxurious rooms and amenities for you to enjoy, from spas, conference centers, 5-star cuisine, entertainment area, to even a golf course.
- Vinpearl Phu Quoc features exclusive beachfronts, diverse room designs, tasty delicacies, exciting water activities, etc.
- Vinpearl Nha Trang is a paradise for guests with its spacious setting, unique architecture, mesmerizing sea view, and an infinity swimming pool
- Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An welcomes you with luxurious rooms overlooking the sea near many attractions in Hoi An, such as Binh Minh Beach or Cham Islands
Ben Dinh War Tunnels symbolize the resilience and spirit of Vietnamese people in the form of a massive underground construction. This is an ideal destination for you to explore the heroic culture and history of the S-shaped country.