Da Nang is known not only for its stunning landscapes and beaches but also as a vibrant urban area. Located at the center of the city is Cho Con Market, renowned for the variety of specialties it offers as well as a wide array of local souvenirs. If you plan to visit Cho Con in Da Nang, make the most of your trip through this guide below.
1. Where is Cho Con Market? What time is it open?
The address of Cho Con Market Danang is 290 Hung Vuong, Vinh Trung, Hai Chau, Da Nang. Like many other traditional markets, Cho Con is open from as early as 7:00 AM. The market closes at 7:30 PM, but visitors should arrive at least 1 hour in advance as shops will begin cleaning up by 6:30 PM. However, the street vendors around the market will continue to serve until night.
2. The history and architecture of Con Market in Da Nang
Cho Con or Con Market was built in 1940. The word “Con” means “a high place”, referring to the dune on which the market was built. Cho Con boasts an impressive 2,000 stores and stalls within a site consisting of a 3-story building, two 2-story buildings and 6 big corners.
>>> Explore Cho Con and book voucher, combo, tour to Da Nang at the lowest price!
3. The top must-try foods in Cho Con Market Danang
As mentioned, Cho Con is a paradise of delicious local foods at very affordable prices. Cho Con Market consists of three main areas: the indoor section, outdoor section and dry food section. You can find a range of sweet and savory dishes from 15,000 - 50,000 VND each, which are fresh-served at the market. Here are some of the must-trys of Cho Con that you should definitely have a taste of when visiting Da Nang.
3.1. Vietnamese thick noodle soup (Banh canh)
- Price range: 20,000 - 50,000 VND
The noodles of banh canh is made from locally-made fine flour (bot loc). This gives the noodles a delicious chewy texture accompanied by a sweet taste. When combined with the signature broth typically served with crab and boiled pork, the warm and tasty banh canh is made with a distinct combination of flavors.
3.2. Water fern cake and rice dumpling cake (Banh beo - banh bot loc)
- Price range: 40,000 - 60,000 VND
Banh beo and banh bot loc are two of the most authentic and famous dishes at markets in Da Nang, especially Cho Con Market. The process of preparing these dishes is unique, as some specific types of rice must be used. After being steamed, water fern cake and rice dumpling cake are served with fresh local herbs and savory cold cuts.
3.3. Grilled pork with vermicelli (Bun thit nuong)
- Price range: 20,000 - 40,000 VND
Grilled pork with vermicelli is a cheap yet extremely appetizing dish. The strong taste of seasoned grilled pork is complimented by a softer and creamier peanut sauce. To spice up the flavorfulness of the dish, remember to ask for extra peanuts!
3.4. Rice paper roll with pork (Banh trang cuon thit heo)
- Price range: 30,000 - 80,000 VND
Rice paper roll with pork has long been a specialty of Cho Con Market in particular and markets in Da Nang in general. Aside from the tender, thinly sliced boiled pork served with fresh and aromatic vegetables, it is the seasoning sauce (mam nem) that truly makes this dish shine. The fantastic combination of flavors will surely leave visitors wanting more.
3.5. Quang noodles (Mi Quang)
- Price range: 20,000 - 50,000 VND
While Quang noodles did not originate in Da Nang, the authentic taste of this dish is still present in Cho Con Market. Quang noodles are soft, chewy and can be served with many types of toppings such as chicken, egg, pork. Don’t forget to also add fresh herbs when enjoying Quang noodles at markets in Da Nang.
3.6. Sticky rice with grilled meat (Xoi thit nuong)
- Price range: 15,000 - 50,000 VND
This is one of the most common breakfast dishes of Da Nang locals, so be sure to try it out at Cho Con Market. Tender and well-seasoned grilled meat on top of sweet sticky rice, covered with sesame will surely satisfy your taste buds.
3.7. Avocado ice cream (Kem bo)
- Price range: 8,000 - 20,000 VND
Avocado ice cream is one of the trendiest dishes in Cho Con Market. It is made from fresh avocado and sweet ice cream. With crunchy dried coconut on top, avocado ice cream is an irresistible sweet treat that will freshen up your day.
4. Some notes for your shopping tour to Cho Con Market
For the best experience in Cho Con Market, bear in mind these four important tips:
- Make a list of dishes to enjoy in advance: As there are so many tasty dishes offered in Cho Con, list ahead the ones you want to try out first.
- Buy clothing items, souvenirs, dried seafood, etc. as gifts for your relatives: Cho Con Market is also a bustling shopping center of low-price goods. In particular, dried fish and squid are among the most common items that can be purchased as gifts for your relatives back home.
- Try to barter for 20 - 50% of the price offered by the seller at markets in Da Nang: While the goods here are generally affordable, the vendors can sometimes overcharge some items. Test your bargaining skills by negotiating the price with the seller. It is best that you purchase goods that come with price tags.
- Pay attention to your belongings: As Cho Con is quite a busy place, you should always keep an eye on your belongings.
5. Where to stay near Con Market on the trip to Da Nang?
If you want to pay a visit to Cho Con Market and discover authentic Da Nang tastes, make sure to find accomodation close to the market. Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang is a magnificent place to stay. Located near many landmarks, it is a luxurious beach resort with beautiful landscapes. The resort includes many neoclassical villas, making it a perfect accomodation for you, your family and friends.
>>> Looking for a place to stay? Book Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang today!
Da Nang is not only a scenic beach retreat but also a dynamic and hustling city. Cho Con market represents the young spirit of the city and captivates visitors with a diverse selection of delicious foods and souvenirs. Don’t forget to try out mouth-watering, authentic Vietnamese food at the market on your next trip to Da Nang.
>>> If you are looking for a place to stay near Cho Con Market, book rooms in Vinpearl Da Nang today!
>>> If you are planning a trip to Da Nang city, book voucher, combo, tour to Da Nang!