Although it is widely known that the majority of visitors to Vietnam need to obtain a visa, many foreigners are uncertain of how to get a Vietnamese visa. Below is a comprehensive guide on applying for a visa in Vietnam, including details on requirements, procedures, and important notes to help streamline your Vietnam travel plan and save time and effort.
1. Requirements to get a Vietnamese visa for foreigners
In order to obtain a Vietnam visa, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Having a valid passport
- Not falling into the cases of entry suspension under Article 21 of the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit, and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam
- Being a citizen of an eligible country on the list designated by the Vietnamese Government Resolution
- Having a sponsor in Vietnam, or being able to provide documents that show the purpose of your visit
Notably, citizens of the following 80 countries are allowed to apply for a Vietnamese e-Visa:
Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Chile, China (including Hong Kong and Macau passports), Denmark, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Philippines, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Salomon Islands, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Timor Leste, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, and Western Samoa.
>>> Check out Vietnam location to discover some impressive tourist attractions in Vietnam!
2. How to get a Vietnamese visa? – A detailed guide with specific steps
There are three ways to obtain a Vietnamese visa: in-person at an embassy or consulate, online for eligible countries, and on-arrival with an Approval Letter. Among these, applying for a Vietnam e-Visa online is the most convenient and cost-effective.
Let’s learn about how to get a Vietnamese visa with our detailed instructions below:
You can easily apply online for a tourist e-Visa. Here is how:
- Step 1: Prepare the necessary materials, including:
- One 4x6 passport photo without glasses, with a white background, in .jpg format
- Photos of your passport data page in .jpg format
- Information about your current address in Vietnam and points of arrival and departure
- A debit or credit card for payment
- Step 2:
- Access this link https://immigration.gov.vn/
- Choose "E-visa Issuance"
- Click on the link for "Outside Vietnam foreigners"
- Step 3: Upload your photos and carefully fill out all required fields of the application. Submit.
- Step 4: Pay the $25 e-Visa fee and note the provided code.
- Step 5: You will receive an email notification regarding the status of your e-Visa application within three working days.
- Step 6: Use the provided code to track your e-Visa online. It is recommended to download and print two copies of the e-Visa.
If you apply for a Vietnam Visa at the embassy or consulate:
- Make an appointment with the Vietnam embassy or consulate and prepare the necessary documents
- Submit the documents and pay the fee
- Wait for the visa to be processed
- Collect your passport and receive the visa application result
- If your application is approved, the Vietnam visa will be stamped on your passport and you can use it to enter Vietnam
If you apply for a Vietnam Visa On Arrival:
If you plan to land at one of the following international airports, you can obtain a Vietnam Visa On Arrival:
- Tan Son Nhat Airport in Ho Chi Minh City
- Noi Bai Airport in Hanoi
- Danang Airport in Da Nang
- Cat Bi Airport in Hai Phong
- Cam Ranh Airport in Nha Trang
To be able to get a Visa On Arrival in Vietnam, you first have to apply for an Approval Letter from the Vietnamese Immigration Department. You may get this document through travel agencies or visa application agencies that are authorized by the Vietnamese Immigration Department.
After receiving the Approval Letter through email, you should print the Approval Letter and bring at least 4 passport-size photos, your passport, and enough cash for the stamping fee. Then, go to the Visa On Arrival counter at the airport and pay the fee.
>>> Read more: Vietnam embassy - The BEST guide for an easier visa application
3. Frequently asked questions about how to get a Vietnamese visa
3.1. How much is the Vietnam visa application fee?
The Vietnam visa application fees are as follows:
- For Online Vietnam Visa Application: $25 USD
- For Vietnam Visa On Arrival, not including the additional service fee for the Approval Letter
- Single-entry, 1 month/ 3 months/ 1 year: $25 USD
- Multiple-entry, under 3 months: $50 USD
- Multiple-entry, 3 months - 6 months: $90 USD
- Multiple-entry, 6 months - 1 year: $135 USD
- For Vietnam visa application at an embassy/ consulate: Depends on the specific embassy or consulate
3.2. How long does the Vietnam e-Visa processing time take?
Normally, it takes about three working days to process your e-Visa for Vietnam application. But during public holidays and if applicant volume is high, the processing time may take longer than normal. Thus, it is highly recommended to apply for this type of visa at least 1-2 weeks before your departure to avoid any potential delay.
3.3. Where to check the result of the Vietnam visa application?
To track your e-Visa application status online, you need to enter your registration code, email, and date of birth in the E-visa search menu via the link: https://evisa.immigration.gov.vn/tra-cuu-thi-thuc. If your e-Visa is approved, print it to enter or exit Vietnam.
>>> Read more: Vietnamese visa for Australian
Learning about how to get a Vietnamese visa is the first step toward exploring Vietnam's stunning landscape, rich culture, and fantastic cuisine. When planning your trip, besides considering the best time to visit Vietnam, do not forget to check out some of the country’s most famous tourist destinations, including Phu Quoc Pearl Island, the coastal city of Nha Trang, Hoi An Ancient Town, the entertainment paradise of Da Nang, and the natural wonder of Ha Long.
Vietnam also offers a diverse system of accommodations for visitors to stay and enjoy their vacations. Standing out among many options, Vinpearl's hotel and resort system is the best choice for those who desire to experience outstanding services and a memorable stay. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you choose Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, or Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to enjoy luxury and comfort.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long for a comfortable stay while in Vietnam!
How to get a Vietnamese visa is the most common question among first-time travelers who are planning to visit the fantastic country of Vietnam. It is a simple and convenient process that can be done online to help you save time and effort. Once you have obtained your visa, you will be able to enjoy the beautiful landscapes, explore the culture, meet new people, try new foods, and create memories that will last a lifetime!
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to enjoy the best accommodations in Vietnam!
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang to visit some of Vietnam’s most beautiful attractions!