“Is Phu Quoc expensive?” is a common question among visitors seeking to travel to Phu Quoc. Knowing the general answer to this can help with planning and budgeting a suitable Vietnam travel experience. So, to help you get a rough idea, we will break down the costs for some specific travel aspects.
1. Is Phu Quoc expensive? The average expense for the trip
Phu Quoc Island in Kien Giang Province, like any travel destination, can be as expensive or as budget-friendly as you choose it to be. The cost of your trip to Phu Quoc will depend on various factors, including your travel style, preferences, and how you plan your trip. A self-travel journey can cost from 5,000,000 VND per person, and a tour-based one can cost about 4,000,000 VND per person. Though this is just for reference, having a rough idea can help you better plan and budget your trip.
2. Is Phu Quoc expensive? A comprehensive overview of travel expenses in Phu Quoc
2.1. Transportation costs
2.1.1. Traveling to Phu Quoc
Is Phu Quoc expensive in terms of transportation costs? It depends on where, when, and how you travel to Phu Quoc. In general, the shorter the distance between your starting destination and Phu Quoc, the less you will have to spend. When you are further away, you might need to combine a few different means of transportation, and this can drive up the cost.
Traveling during peak seasons will be costlier. For Phu Quoc, this tends to be summer. You can minimize the amount you spend on transportation by choosing off-peak seasons. Regarding how to travel, you can fly to Phu Quoc from any airport in Vietnam. Or, you can go to Rach Gia or Ha Tien by bus and catch a ferry to Phu Quoc. The means you choose will affect how much you will have to spend.
- Flights from Hanoi to Phu Quoc and flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Phu Quoc: Around 1,300,000 VND on average
- Ha Tien to Phu Quoc ferry: Around 180,000 VND on average
- Rach Gia to Phu Quoc ferry: Around 290,000 VND on average
- Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien bus and Ho Chi Minh City to Rach Gia bus: Around 350,000 VND on average
2.1.2. Getting around Phu Quoc
While you are in Phu Quoc, you can get around by taxi. Each ride will be billed according to the taximeter. A kilometer usually costs from 10,000 VND, but variations exist across taxi companies. Alternatively, you can rent a bike or car. Phu Quoc motorbike rentals can range from 80,000 VND to 180,000 VND per day depending on the type of motorbike. Phu Quoc car rentals cost between 700,000 - 1,500,000 VND for 4-seaters and 1,500,000 - 2,500,000 VND for 7-seaters per day.
2.2. Accommodation costs in Phu Quoc
Is Phu Quoc expensive, accommodation-wise? There are many accommodation options in Phu Quoc, from low-budget hostels and homestays to high-end Phu Quoc hotels and Phu Quoc resorts. You can spend a few hundred VNDs to several million VNDs per night. As such, it is possible to choose a place that fits your budget.
- Phu Quoc homestay: 200,000 - 300,000 VND/person/night
- Phu Quoc 2-star hotels: 300,000 - 1,000,000 VND/person/night
- Phu Quoc 3-star hotels: 500,000 VND - 3,000,000 VND/person/night
- Phu Quoc 4-star hotels: 650,000 VND - 4.500,000 VND/person/night
- Phu Quoc 5-star hotels: 2.500,000 VND - 11,000,000 VND/person/night
If you are still wondering “Is Phu Quoc expensive?” and find it hard to make a choice, you can consider Vinpearl Phu Quoc at Long Beach. Here, there are many spacious and fully furnished rooms, along with many well-class amenities such as pools, gyms, kids’ clubs, restaurants, etc. Vinpearl regularly offers great promotions, so you can totally enjoy a luxurious stay within budget.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc for accommodations while you are on the island!
2.3. Dining costs
The answer to “Is Phu Quoc expensive?” will also depend on how much you spend on Phu Quoc food. Here is a list of the most popular Phu Quoc food prices:
- Ham Ninh crab: 180,000 - 400,000 VND per kilogram
- Sea cucumber: 500,000 - 2,000,000 VND per kilogram
- Sea urchin: 20,000 - 25,000 VND per kilogram
- Ken noodles: 20,000 - 25,000 VND per dish
- Herring salad: 100,000 - 150,000 VND per dish
- Grilled horn scallop: 40,000 - 70,000 VND per dish
- Grilled mackerel: 30,000 VND per dish
2.4. Entertainment costs in Phu Quoc island
Entertainment costs will be a big factor that affects how expensive is Phu Quoc? There are lots of things you can see and do here, both indoors and outdoors. Some places will have entrance fees, but not all will. For example, it is free to explore Duong Dong Market, Phu Quoc Night Market, Ham Ninh Fishing Village, Su Muon Pagoda, Ong Lang Beach, Starfish Beach, May Rut Island, Phu Quoc National Park, and Phu Quoc Prison.
Places like Grand World Phu Quoc and Tranh Stream, will have entrance fees. For activities like Phu Quoc snorkeling, you will need to shell out a bit of cash (300,000 - 1,500,000 VND). Here are the ticket prices of two popular entertainment spots for your reference:
- VinWonders Phu Quoc: 950,000 VND for adults, 710,000 VND for children and those above 60 years old.
- Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc: 650,000 VND for adults, 490,000 VND for children and those above 60 years old.
- If you buy bundle tickets for these two places, it will be 1,350,000 VND for adults and 1,000,000 VND for children and those above 60 years old.
2.5. Shopping costs
Is Phu Quoc expensive for shopping? Depending on your budget, you can shop at local markets or specialty stores. Here are some popular souvenirs along with their reference prices:
- Phu Quoc pepper: 200,000 - 250,000 VND per kilogram
- Dried seafood: 200,000 - 300,000 VND per kilogram
- Kheo cake: 120,000 VND per kilogram
- Sim wine: 140,000 - 200,000 VND per bottle of 600ml
- Dried sea cucumber: 2,500,000 - 3,000,000 VND per kilogram
3. Common payment methods to use on your Phu Quoc trip
Cash is usually recommended when traveling in Vietnam. However, in Phu Quoc, you should not carry too much cash because you will go from attraction to attraction. For convenience, you should carry an international debit or credit card. In the center of Phu Quoc, there are plenty of ATMs for cash withdrawals. You can also find many establishments that accept payments through bank transfers. Having payment apps ready on your phone, such as Apple Pay, MOMO, Zalopay, VNPay, etc., will be handy.
4. Is Phu Quoc expensive? Tips for saving money on your trip to Phu Quoc
- Travel during the off-peak season: Visiting Phu Quoc when it is not high in demand can save you money on accommodations and activities.
- Book accommodations in advance: Secure your lodging early to take advantage of discounts and avoid last-minute price hikes.
- Use local transportation: Opt for local buses, taxis, or motorbike rentals instead of expensive private transfers.
- Eat at local eateries: Savor the affordable Vietnamese cuisine at local restaurants and street stalls.
- Bargain at markets: Don't be afraid to negotiate prices at the local markets for goods. But remember to be respectful.
- Pack essentials: Bring essentials like sunscreen and mosquito repellent from home to save on buying them locally.
- Try some free activities: Enjoy Phu Quoc's natural beauty by exploring its beaches, hiking trails, and parks, which often come with no cost.
- Check for package deals: Look for bundled tours or activities which can offer combo discounts.
The answer to “Is Phu Quoc expensive?” depends on many factors, such as your transportation, accommodation, and dining. A trip to Phu Quoc can be as inexpensive and expensive as you choose it to be. Consider your own budget to plan accordingly.
*Note that the prices mentioned in this guide are for reference purposes only and may change over time. For the most accurate pricing information, it is advisable that you reach out to the service provider.