If you need to escape the hustle and bustle of urban life, look no further than the enchanting Sapa Lake in Sapa, Vietnam. From its tranquil water to the breathtaking landscapes, this famous lake encapsulates the serene beauty and cultural richness that define Vietnam travel.
1. History and location of Sapa Lake
Sapa Lake is a stunning natural gem in the town of Sapa, Vietnam. Built by the locals to boost tourism, it sits strategically between the roads of Ngu Chi Son, Pham Kim Dong, and Xuan Vien. Now, it is one of the top places to visit in Sapa (Vietnam).
To build this beautiful lake, the locals had to go through a difficult and quite expensive process. The problem was that the mountainous terrain had many mountain caves. When they tried to block the dam body to retain water with cement, concrete, and mortar, the mortar drifted all into the caves. To retain the water, alluvial soil from the not-so-nearby Red River was needed. To get this soil, the people had to mobilize many buffaloes and young ethnic men. After blocking the dam body with the soil, the lake water was finally retained. After that, the people embellished the landscape, planted flowers, and placed benches along the lake shore.
2. The stunning beauty of Sapa Lake
In summer, Sapa Lake transforms into a picturesque attraction with its misty water and the reflection of lights at night. The serene atmosphere further makes it an ideal spot for enjoying various grilled street foods while taking in the stunning beauty of the lake, especially in the evening.
3. Top must-eats on your trip to Sapa Lake
The food in Sapa is famous for its delicious grilled dishes, with each shop having a unique recipe for marinating the ingredients. Cardamom is a significant spice in these preparations. Further, you can enjoy fresh salmon, sturgeon hotpot, fried stream fish, horse meat stew (thang co), bamboo-tube rice, etc. at many charming restaurants near Sapa Lake Vietnam.
Here are some recommended Sapa restaurants near Sapa Lake for you:
- Hotpot Center (71 Xuan Vien): This restaurant offers a cozy atmosphere and Sapa Lake views. Must-try dishes here include sturgeon hotpot, salmon salad, grilled chicken with green pepper, and mountain goat hotpot.
- Am Thuc Mong (8 Xuan Vien): This restaurant is famous for the authentic cuisine of the Mong ethnic people. They serve various dishes, including steamed pork, sticky rice, dried buffalo meat, sturgeon hotpot, and honey-grilled chicken.
- Nam Khanh (6 Xuan Vien): For a spacious and family-friendly dining experience, visit Nam Khanh. Here, you can enjoy the bright space and delicious dishes like grilled sturgeon, mountain goat hotpot, and traditional Mong specialties.
- Top Quan Sapa (63 Xuan Vien): For a taste of Sapa's best sturgeon and salmon dishes, head to Top Quan. They also offer other local specialties such as lon cap nach, black chicken, and thang co. This restaurant is perfect for hosting parties.
- BBQ Tra Phuong Quan (26 Ngu Chi Son): BBQ Tra Phuong Quan is where you can taste the freshest and cleanest grilled dishes. With years of experience, they have perfected their recipe of mouth-watering dishes in town.
- Cho Tinh Quan (22 Ngu Chi Son): Experience a unique dining experience at Cho Tinh Quan, whose design is inspired by traditional stilt houses in Sapa. Here, you can indulge in specialties like lemongrass salmon, fried salmon with oolong tea, and sturgeon with tom yum sauce.
4. Famous tourist attractions in the vicinity of Sapa Lake
- Sapa Square: This square is just a few meters away from Sapa Lake and is the busiest marketplace in town, with many street vendors and cultural activities. This is an excellent place to feel the local vibe and do your shopping.
- Sapa Stone Church: This is a gorgeous stone church constructed by French missionaries in 1895 and a few steps south of Sapa Square. Many tourists come here to admire the beautiful architecture and take photographs.
- Fansipan Cable Car Station: For a scenic ride of Sapa Fansipan Mountain, visit the Fansipan Cable Car Station, which is a mere 15-minute drive away from Sapa Lake. Here, you can take in the incredible views of the mountains and valleys.
- Sapa Love Market: The central Sapa Square has a market that is especially well-known for colorful cultural performances, which is Sapa Love Market. This event occurs every Saturday night and is a big tourist attraction among the many markets in Sapa.
Also, consider going further and visiting Seo My Ty Lake, Ta Phin Village, Cat Cat Village, Lao Chai Village, O Quy Ho Pass, Thac Bac Waterfall, Ham Rong Mountain, Hoang A Tuong Palace, and many other breathtaking attractions in Sapa.
Beyond the enchanting vistas of Sapa, tourists should also explore other popular destinations in the S-shaped country, such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Ha Long, etc. These destinations will add a unique chapter to your Vietnamese travel journey, promising unforgettable moments and a deeper understanding of the landscapes, culture, and history of this nation.
If you are in search of the ultimate getaway, consider staying at Vinpearl's hotel and resort system. From meticulously designed accommodations to indulgent spa sessions and world-class dining, Vinpearl ensures a stay of comfort and opulence for every guest. Moreover, for an extra layer of excitement, you can explore the entertainment complexes of VinWonders. VinWonders promises a trove of thrilling activities, from roller coaster rides to captivating cultural shows that will leave a lasting impression.
Known for its delicious cuisine and proximity to other popular attractions in Northern Vietnam, Sapa Lake is not only a picturesque site but also a haven for those seeking tranquility amidst stunning landscapes. With our guide, you can surely transform your visit into a seamless and enriching experience.