When it comes to Vietnam passport renewal, understanding the Vietnam passport renewal fee is crucial. Whether you are seeking a fresh Vietnam passport, replacing a lost or damaged one, or simply updating personal information, the renewal fee can vary. This article delves into the influencing elements that determine the Vietnam passport renewal fee, outlines the current costs, and sheds light on who might be exempt from paying this fee.
1. Influencing factors on the Vietnam passport renewal fee
The Vietnam passport renewal fee is influenced by several factors, including the purpose of renewal – whether it is for a new passport, a replacement due to loss or damage, or an update of personnel information.
Note that the fee structure does not differentiate between passports with or without electronic chips.
>>> Explore Vietnam passport visa free countries
2. How much is the current Vietnam passport renewal fee?
2.1. The Vietnam passport renewal fee in Vietnam
As of June 29, 2023, the Ministry of Finance has issued Circular 44/2023/TT-BTC, outlining the fee structure for various services, including passport renewal, aimed at assisting citizens and businesses. From July 1, 2023, to December 31, 2023, the passport issuance fee will be reduced by 20% compared to the rates specified in Circular 25/2021/TT-BTC.
The reduced Vietnam passport renewal fee schedule during this period is as follows:
- New passport issuance: 160,000 VND
- Replacement due to loss or damage: 320,000 VND
- Personnel information confirmation: 80,000 VND
After the fee reduction ends on December 31, 2023, the fee structure from January 1, 2024, will revert to the rates in Circular 25/2021/TT-BTC:
- New passport issuance: 200,000 VND
- Replacement due to loss or damage: 400,000 VND
- Personnel information confirmation: 100,000 VND
2.2. The Vietnam passport renewal fee in other countries
- United States: $110 USD in money order or cashier's check payable to the Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam, depending on your application destination.
- Malaysia: $70 USD for a new passport issuance, and $150 USD for a passport replacement due to loss or damage.
For Vietnamese passport holders in other countries, contacting the respective Vietnam embassy is recommended for specific fee details.
>>> Discover the comprehensive guide to the new Vietnam passport
3. Who is exempt from paying the Vietnam passport renewal fee?
Certain individuals are exempt from paying the renewal fee:
- Guests (including spouses and children) of the Party, State, Government, or National Assembly's leaders.
- Diplomats and staff of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, international organizations in Vietnam, and their family members (spouse, children under 18) who are not Vietnamese citizens and not residents in Vietnam.
- Cases exempted as per international treaties or agreements that Vietnam has signed or participated in.
- Foreign nationals assisting humanitarian or relief efforts in Vietnam.
- Cases involving foreigners violating Vietnamese law, with no financial capacity or support from their country's representative office in Vietnam.
- Vietnamese citizens abroad facing deportation without passports.
- Vietnamese citizens abroad returning due to international treaties or agreements.
- Cases due to humanitarian reasons.
In cases of fee exemption, the issuing organization must stamp "Miễn thu phí" (Fee exemption) on the issued documents.
>>> Learn more about the Vietnam passport stamp
If you are a foreign traveler planning your Vietnam travel, the first crucial step is to familiarize yourself with the intricacies of the Vietnam visa process, including how to get a Vietnamese visa, Vietnam visa exemption, e-visa for Vietnam, and Vietnam entry requirements.
Planning your itinerary for Vietnam also involves considering the best time to visit Vietnam. This ensures you make the most of your journey by exploring during optimal conditions. For those seeking recommendations, consider exploring captivating destinations like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long. These are all wonderful destinations to visit during your time in Vietnam.
Furthermore, enhancing your experience is effortless with the exceptional amenities and services at Vinpearl's chain of hotels and resorts. This encompasses indulging in top-notch facilities and services at the most prominent locations in Vietnam. Don't forget to immerse yourself in the captivating world of VinWonders, a system of amusement parks that offers unique and exciting experiences.
Understanding the Vietnam passport renewal fee is essential for anyone seeking to renew their passport. Factors such as the purpose of renewal and the fee structure within Vietnam and abroad play a role in determining the costs. Moreover, knowing the exemptions from paying the fee ensures you're aware of special circumstances. Additionally, if you're planning a trip to Vietnam, be sure to explore essential travel information, visa requirements, and ideal travel times to make the most of your Vietnam journey.