Planning a trip to Vietnam is an exciting experience, but it is crucial to understand Vietnam travel requirements. From obtaining visas to following customs regulations, being prepared ahead of time will ensure a hassle-free journey.
1. Vietnam travel requirements in terms of visa application
It is essential to understand Vietnam visa requirements for entry. There is good news for citizens of 13 countries, including Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the UK, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Belarus. Vietnam offers a visa exemption policy for these countries, allowing travelers to stay for up to 15 days without the need for a visa.
This visa exemption policy is valid until March 14, 2025, and will be reviewed and extended according to Vietnamese law. On the other hand, Vietnam travel requirements may vary for other countries such as the United States, Australia, or Canada.
1.1. Vietnam visa requirements for US citizens
To meet Vietnam travel requirements, you must obtain a Vietnam visa, which requires the following documents:
- A completed visa application form that can be submitted online or offline
- A visa approval letter issued by the Vietnamese Immigration Department
- A copy of the passport's data page (ID page)
- A recently-taken 2x2 inch photo in either *.PNG, *.JPG, or *.JPEG format
- A valid mailing or shipping address for the return of the visa
- Credit Card, Visa Card, or Master Card information for payment of the visa fee
If you have received a visa from the embassy, it is important to double-check all personal information on it and contact the embassy immediately for any necessary corrections. Visa fees may vary depending on the type of visa, duration of stay, and type of service. The embassy has the right to deny any visa application without explanation.
1.2. Vietnam visa requirements for Australian citizens
Applying a Vietnam visa for Australian citizens requires the following documents:
- A valid passport with at least 01 blank page and a minimum validity period of 30 days from the date of entry into Vietnam
- A visa application form
- A 4x6 cm photo
- A copy of the first and last page of your passport
Depending on the type of visa you need, additional documents such as a round-trip ticket or an account statement spanning at least three months with 50,000,000 VND may be required.
The cost of a Vietnam visa for Australians ranges from 25 USD to 155 USD, depending on the length of validity and number of entries.
Multiple entries: 3 months
Multiple entries: 3 months to 6 months
Multiple entries: 6 months to 1 year
Multiple entries: 1 year to 2 years
Multiple entries: 2 years to 5 years
1.3. Vietnam visa requirements for Canadian citizens
Vietnam travel requirements for Canadian citizens include obtaining a visa through the Canadian Embassy's website or by submitting a form via email. The following documents are required:
- A visa application form
- A scanned passport
- A digital or scanned color photo
- Credit card information with payment in US dollars
Aside from the traditional visa, Canadian citizens also have the option to apply for an e-Visa for Vietnam, which allows them to enter the country once and stay for up to 90 days.
>>> Check out the comprehensive guide on how to get a Vietnamese visa!
2. Updated health travel requirements to enter Vietnam
As the COVID-19 pandemic dies down, Vietnam has implemented the updated health travel requirements, including no vaccination requirements for travel to Vietnam. It is important to stay informed about these Vietnam travel requirements before embarking on your journey.
- Travelers need a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result (RT-PCR/RT-LAMP) within 72 hours or a negative rapid test result within 24 hours before departure
- Otherwise, you need to take the test at the border gate
- Children under 2 years old are exempt from testing
- Make a health declaration and install the PC-COVID phone application
- Wear masks regularly and seek medical attention if showing COVID-19 symptoms
- Travelers need COVID-19 medical/travel insurance (minimum USD10,000 coverage)
- Self-monitor health for 10 days after entry and report symptoms if any to the nearest medical facility
- Follow Vietnam's immigration laws and regulations
>>> Explore Vietnam location and plan your most memorable trip!
3. Other important Vietnam travel requirements
3.1. Customs travel requirements into Vietnam
Traveling to Vietnam, it is important to be aware of the customs travel requirements in order to avoid any issues or delays at the border. By understanding and adhering to these Vietnam travel requirements, travelers can ensure a smooth entry to and exit from the country.
Goods and Products
According to Vietnam travel regulations, if you exceed the allowed limits of the following items, you must declare them and pay the applicable customs duty:
- Cigarettes: 200
- Cigars: 20
- Tobacco: 250 gram
- Liquor: 1.5 liters
- Perfume and jewelry for personal use
- Souvenirs and gift items valued at not more than USD 400
Materials Under Declaration
When it comes to Vietnam travel requirements, there are no limitations on the quantity of currency, gold, and precious metals or stones that can be brought into Vietnam. Nevertheless, if any of these items are included in your luggage, they must be declared on the customs forms provided:
- Foreign currency: in excess of USD 5,000
- Vietnam Dong: in excess of VND 15,000,000
- Gold: in excess of 300 grams
- Gold and jewelry not for personal use
- Weapons, ammunitions, explosives, and inflammable objects
- Military technical equipment, drugs, opium, and other narcotics
- Anti-government literature, pornographic literature, etc.
- Antiques, some types of precious stones, wild animals, rare plants listed in Vietnam’s red book that cannot be exported
Since November 15, 2010, arrival, departure, and customs forms are not required for visitors at all international airports and 12 border checkpoints in Vietnam. However, visitors should double-check the customs regulations to ensure they are following all of the necessary Vietnam travel requirements.
3.2. Currency and money exchange requirements
Before exchanging money, it is advisable to check the current Vietnam money exchange rate. This is one of the essential Vietnam travel requirements. Money should only be exchanged at official money exchange counters such as banks, hotels, airports, or gold and jewelry shops to ensure a fair exchange rate.
If you plan to take Vietnam money or any other currency out of the country, you can only take less than VND 15,000,000 VND or USD 5,000 (or the equivalent in other currencies) without declaring it. For amounts exceeding this limit, you will need to declare them at the airport.
Vietnam is an attractive country with varied landscapes and rich cultural heritage, making it one of Southeast Asia's best destinations to visit. Currently, it is the best time to visit Vietnam, with some of the most well-liked tourist hotspots including Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long. Each of these destinations offers unique attractions such as beautiful beaches, stunning scenery, traditional culture, and incredible natural wonders.
For your stay, Vinpearl is a well-known brand of luxury hotels and resorts in Vietnam, with a reputation for providing exceptional service and lavish amenities. Vinpearl’s properties are located in some of the most beautiful and sought-after destinations. Each property offers a unique experience, from tranquil beachside retreats to vibrant city stays with world-class shopping and dining options.
Vinpearl's exceptional facilities include luxury spas, infinity pools, and private beaches, ensuring guests have everything they need for a truly indulgent stay. With a commitment to providing top-notch hospitality, Vinpearl is the perfect choice for anyone looking for an unforgettable vacation experience in Vietnam.
Visiting Vietnam can be an amazing experience, but it is important to be aware of the necessary Vietnam travel requirements before embarking on your journey. From acquiring the necessary visas to adhering to customs regulations, it is crucial to be well-prepared to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey. So, take the necessary steps and get ready for an adventure of a lifetime in Vietnam.