If you are planning your Vietnam travel and need to prolong your stay, consider applying for a Vietnam visa extension. So, how to extend visa in Vietnam? Read on to arm yourself with all the necessary information to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience.
1. Requirements of Vietnam visa extension
Usually, foreigners entering Vietnam will be granted a visa with a specific duration based on the purpose of their trip. If your Vietnam visa is about to expire and you wish to extend your stay, you can apply for a visa extension. To do so, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- A letter or request for temporary residence extension, providing details like name, nationality, date of birth, gender, passport number and expiration date, occupation, purpose of entry, requested duration of extension.
- A passport with a validity of over 30 days from the date of applying for the temporary residence extension.
- An application form for Vietnam visa extension (Form NA5) certified by the legal entity that sponsors your entry.
- For those visiting a member of foreign representative agencies in Vietnam, a copy of the ID card of this member is required.
- For those working at foreign representative agencies in Vietnam, a copy of their work contract is required.
2. Where can you apply for a Vietnam visa extension?
2.1. Vietnam visa extension Hanoi
If you are in Northern Vietnam, you can come to the Immigration Department in Hanoi to apply for a visa extension in Vietnam.
- Address: No. 44 - 46, Tran Phu Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Working hours:
- Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
- Saturday: 8:00 AM - 11:30 AM
2.2. Vietnam visa extension in Da Nang
Before, individuals in Central Vietnam could come to the Immigration Department in Da Nang to apply for a visa extension in Vietnam. However, since August 2018, the Immigration Department in Da Nang has merged with the one in Hanoi. Hence, if you are a foreigner in the Central region looking for a visa extension in Vietnam, come to the Immigration Department in Hanoi.
2.3. Vietnam visa extension Ho Chi Minh City
If you are in Southern Vietnam and wish to apply for a Vietnam tourist visa extension or a Vietnam business visa extension, you can come to the Immigration Office in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Address: No. 196, Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Working hours:
- Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Saturday: 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
If your case is complicated, it may be referred to the Immigration Department in Ho Chi Minh City instead.
- Address: No. 333 - 335 - 337, Nguyen Trai Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Working hours:
- Monday - Friday: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- Saturday: 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM
If you have a NG1, NG2, or NG4-type visa and wish to extend visa Vietnam, you will need to request the legal entity that sponsors your entry to submit a Vietnam visa extension form to the Consular Department or the Ho Chi Minh City Department of Foreign Affairs.
- NG1 and NG2-type visas: Members of delegations invited by Vietnamese heads of state.
- NG2-type visa: Personnel working with diplomatic missions, consular offices, international organizations under the United Nations, intergovernmental organizations, and those visiting these personnel.
3. The standard Vietnam visa extension fee
For a single entry, the fee is USD 25. Opting for a multiple-entry visa extension incurs varying fees depending on the visa duration:
- 3 month multiple entry visa Vietnam: USD 50
- 3-6 month Vietnam visa: USD 95
- 6-12 month Vietnam visa: USD 135
- 1-2 year Vietnam visa: USD 145
- 2-5 year Vietnam visa: USD 155
4. Frequently asked questions about Vietnam visa extension
4.1. Is it possible to get a Vietnam visa extension online?
Currently, Vietnam does not allow Vietnam e visa extensions or online visa extensions for foreigners. The visa extension process must be done in person.
4.2. How soon should a Vietnam visa extension be requested?
Vietnamese law does not specify when the visa extension should be completed. However, to ensure that the immigration authorities can process the extension before your current visa expires, you are advised to submit your application at least 5 - 7 days before your visa’s expiration date or as early as possible.
4.3. How long is a Vietnam visa extension valid?
The duration of a visa extension for Vietnam can vary between 15 days, 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months, depending on the original visa's validity. For example, 1-month and 3-month tourist visas can be extended for up to 1 month. Keep in mind that these visa extension durations may change over time, so it is best to consult with a Vietnam visa extension service provider before applying for an extension.
Vietnam is a beautiful country worth visiting for Asia travel. Before coming here, you should check out the best time to visit Vietnam and make sure not to miss out on captivating tourist destinations like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long.
For an unforgettable vacation in Vietnam, consider enjoying the luxurious accommodations provided by Vinpearl. Across the country, the hotels and resorts of Vinpearl provide modern amenities, excellent services, and breathtaking views of the surrounding nature.
Moreover, it is recommended that you check out VinWonders, the most modern entertainment complexes in Vietnam. With thrilling games and vibrant festivals all day and night - you are guaranteed to have the utmost fun at VinWonders.
A Vietnam visa extension offers travelers the opportunity to prolong their stay in this beautiful country. By understanding the process and preparing the necessary documents, you can smoothly extend your time in Vietnam to fully explore the captivating destinations and cultural experiences it has to offer. Plan ahead and enjoy an extended stay in this enchanting land.