If you are a US citizen planning to travel to Vietnam, you will need a visa for Vietnam from US. The process of getting a Vietnam visa from the US can be done online, at the embassy, or through a visa agency. It is important to have the proper visa to prepare for your Vietnam travel.
1. Who to contact to get a visa for Vietnam from US?
Are you wondering: “Do US citizens need a visa for Vietnam?”
The answer is “Yes”. The place to get a visa for Vietnam from US is the Embassy of Vietnam in Washington D.C. It provides visa services to US citizens planning to visit Vietnam. The Consular Division is open from 9:00 A.M to 12:00 P.M and 2:00 P.M to 4:30 P.M on weekdays, but closed on weekends and during Vietnam and United States holidays.
If you need further assistance, you can contact the Consular Division at 1233 20th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington D.C., 20036, or call them at 202-861-0737 ext. 118/121/122/125/129.
- You can also send a fax to 202-861-0917 or email them at [email protected]
- In case of emergency, you can call the Embassy's hotline at 202-716-8666 for quick responses
>>> Don’t forget to check out Vietnam embassy for a smooth visa application!
2. How to apply for visa to Vietnam from US?
So, how to apply for Vietnam visa in USA? Below is the process of applying for a visa for Vietnam from US and everything you need to know to make your travel visa for Vietnam application as smooth as possible.
2.1. Apply in-person or by mail
When it comes to applying for a visa for Vietnam from US, many people choose to apply in person. One of the main advantages is the ability to have face-to-face interaction with embassy officials. This can provide a sense of reassurance to applicants who may have questions or concerns about the application process.
In-person applicants can also receive immediate feedback and guidance on any missing or incorrect documents, which can save time and prevent potential delays.
Besides, applying for a visa via mail is also favorable because you can fill out the application form and prepare the required documents at your own pace, which saves you both time and money on transportation and parking.
If you are wondering how to get a visa for Vietnam from US, here are the necessary documents to apply for a visa either in person or by mail:
- You need to fill out the online application form available at http://visa.mofa.gov.vn and select “Vietnam Embassy in the United States of America” as the place of visa submission and collection. Print out and sign the completed application. If you can't complete the online form, download and fill out the form by hand. You can also use the application form available at the embassy.
- A passport with at least six months of validity prior to the proposed entry date. You need to submit the original passport for a sticker visa application or a copy of the ID page for a loose-leaf visa application. Vietnamese holding a US Permanent Resident Card (also known as Green Card) can apply for a Visa Exemption Certificate (Vietnam 5-year visa).
- A Visa Approval Letter of the Immigration Department in Vietnam.
- A 2x2 inch identification photo for a sticker visa or two 2x2 inch identification photos for a loose-leaf visa if a copy of the passport is submitted.
- Besides, applicants are required to pay the Vietnam visa cost for US citizens by Visa card/Master card if you are applying in person at the embassy, or by money order/cashier's check/company check payable to "EMBASSY OF VIETNAM".
- Other supporting documents, such as a copy of the visa approval letter or an invitation letter from a sponsor.
If you want to receive your passport and/or visa by mail, enclose one prepaid self-addressed return envelope. It is recommended to use the certified mail service by USPS, UPS, and FedEx with a tracking number to ensure safe delivery of the application package. The embassy is not responsible for any loss of documents due to insecure and uncertified mailing service. If you don't have a prepaid return envelope, you can use FedEx envelopes available at the embassy and pay for the additional mailing service.
2.2. Apply online by email
A visa for Vietnam for US citizens can also be applied online due to the benefits that online visa application offers. Online application of visa for Vietnam from US tends to be processed more quickly than paper-based application, as it can be automatically checked for errors and completeness. Therefore, tourists can have a Vietnam e Visa for US citizens after a short amount of time.
- A visa application form which can be filled out online and downloaded in *.PDF format to your computer, or an offline form (go to visa.mofa.gov.vn to download) in case the online form is not available. No signature is required and the form should be in *.DOC, *.DOCX, or *.PDF format.
- A visa approval letter issued by the Immigration Department in Vietnam.
- A copy of the ID page of your passport in *.PNG, *.JPG, *.JPEG, or *.GIF format.
- A 2x2 inch identification photo taken within the last year in *.PNG, *.JPG, or *.JPEG format. The photo should show a straight face, without a hat, and without dark or tinted glasses. It must be clear enough for identification.
- Your current mailing or shipping address, accurately provided by you. The Embassy is not responsible for any inaccurate mailing address provided by the applicant.
- Credit card/Visa card/Master card information for the payment of visa fee, including the card number and expiration date. The fee will only be charged if you agree with the amount that is informed to you through a reply email.
3. Processing time for the application of a visa for Vietnam from US
The standard processing time for a visa for Vietnam travel is typically three business days, provided that all required documents have been submitted.
However, if you require your tourist visa for Vietnam from USA more urgently, you can opt for expedited service, which offers a 24-hour processing time for an additional fee. To ensure that your application is processed promptly, it is recommended that you include an "Expedited Service" or "Urgent" note on your envelope or in your application package. This will help the embassy to identify your application and prioritize your Vietnam visa processing.
4. Key points to know for Vietnam visa for US citizens application
Once you receive your visa for Vietnam from US, it is important to double-check all personal information for accuracy. If there are any inaccuracies, please contact the Embassy immediately for correction. Additional fees may apply for any amendments to the visa due to inadvertent errors.
Diplomatic and official passport holders can apply for a visa in person or by mail, but online or email application is not applicable. Diplomatic and official visas are free of charge unless otherwise agreed upon between Vietnam and the applicant's country.
The cost of a visa for Vietnam from US varies depending on the type of visa, duration of stay, and type of service. For group travelers, combined payment can be made in one money order or check for the whole group, and all applications can be sent in one envelope with the visas returned in one envelope also. The visa will be valid from the entry date listed on the application and printed on the visa, allowing entry on or after such date.
>>> Don’t forget to check out Vietnam locations before your trip!
To determine the best time to visit Vietnam for your honeymoon, trek, or cultural tour, it is essential to consider the weather conditions of this S-shaped country.
Vietnam is a country rich in history, culture, and natural beauty. Among its many destinations are the stunning islands of Phu Quoc, the beachside city of Nha Trang, the charming ancient town of Hoi An, the modern city of Da Nang, and the breathtaking Ha Long Bay. Each destination offers unique experiences and sights that make them must-visit places in Vietnam.
In addition, travelers visiting Vietnam can experience luxury accommodations at Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Resort & Golf Nam Hoi An, and Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long. Vinpearl's premium hotels and resorts offer an abundance of amenities, including swimming pools, bars, gyms, and many more, ensuring that your stay is nothing short of exceptional.
In conclusion, obtaining a visa for Vietnam from US is a straightforward process, and there are various options available to suit different needs and preferences. With proper preparation and adherence to the guidelines, travelers can enjoy a smooth and hassle-free experience when obtaining their visa for Vietnam from the US.