Obtaining a Vietnam visa for US citizens is a crucial step for an unforgettable Vietnam travel experience. Ensure you meet the necessary requirements, submit the required documents, and get ready to explore the captivating beauty of Vietnam. Do not let the visa process hold you back from your dream vacation!
1. Do US citizens need a visa for Vietnam?
The answer to this question is a resounding YES. Here is the detailed information about entry requirements and visa for Vietnam from the US.
- Entry requirements: To enter Vietnam, US citizens need a valid passport and a visa (or pre-approval for a visa on arrival). You have to make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay, with a blank visa page. Entry without the appropriate visa or pre-approval will result in denial.
The U.S. Mission in Vietnam cannot assist citizens without the required visas. Dual nationals should consult the Department of State's info page and the Embassy of Vietnam for travel requirements. Remember to use the same passport for entry and exit, with at least six months of validity from the date you return to the United States.
- Visas: When applying for a Vietnam visa for US citizens, ensure to choose the visa category aligned with your specific purpose. If you intend to work in Vietnam, you must obtain a work permit before your visa application. In the event that you change the purpose of your visit after receiving your visa, you must acquire a new visa that matches such purpose.
>>> A step-by-step guide on how to get a Vietnamese visa and relevant details
2. The standard way to obtain a Vietnam visa for US citizens
2.1. Contact information
To obtain a visa for US citizens to Vietnam, you can contact the Vietnam Embassy in Washington D.C. They will provide you with the necessary information and guidance regarding visa application procedures, requirements, and fees.
- Address: 1233 20th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036
- Opening hours: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM on weekdays (closed on weekends, Vietnamese holidays, and US holidays)
- Hotline: 202-861-0737
- For visa inquiries only: 202-999-6589
- Fax: 202-861-0917
If you need emergency assistance, you can contact the Consular Division at 1233 20th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036 or call them at 202-716-8666.
2.2. Requirements and process
Are you seeking ways to apply for a Vietnam visa for US citizens? The standard way to obtain a visa is by applying in person or by mail through the nearest Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate.
The in-person application process offers reassurance, immediate guidance, and feedback for any missing or incorrect documents, ensuring a smooth and efficient visa application process. Below are the Vietnam visa requirements for US citizens if you choose to apply in person or by mail:
- Complete the online application form at http://visa.mofa.gov.vn, selecting "VIETNAM EMBASSY IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" as the place of submission.
- Print and sign the application form. If online form completion is not possible, you can download and fill out the paper application form available on the Embassy's website.
- Provide your passport (an original for sticker visa or a copy of the ID page for loose-leaf visa) with a validity of at least 6 months before the proposed entry date into Vietnam.
- Submit the Visa Approval Letter from Vietnam Immigration Department.
- Submit one 2x2 inch identical photo for a sticker visa or two photos for a loose-leaf visa if a copy of the passport is provided.
- Pay the visa fees by Visa Card/Master Card for in-person applications at the Embassy or through a money order/cashier's check/company check payable to "EMBASSY OF VIET NAM". The cost of a Vietnam visa for US citizens depends on your desired type of visa.
- Other supporting documents (if any): copy of the visa approval letter, invitation letter from a sponsor/host, etc.
The processing time for a Vietnam visa application in person or by mail is 3 business days once all the necessary documents are submitted. For urgent cases, there is an expedited service available with a 24-hour processing time, subject to an additional fee.
>>> Check out all you need to know about Vietnam travel requirements before you depart!
3. How to apply for a Vietnam visa for US citizens online?
Vietnam offers a convenient e-Visa for Vietnam application process for citizens of 80 countries, including the US. All procedures with payment and delivery are conducted online, taking 3 working days.
US citizens have the option to apply online for a single-entry e-Visa through the official Vietnam Immigration Department's website. The e-Visa grants a maximum stay of 30 days and does not permit renewal or extension from within Vietnam. Here are the necessary requirements to apply for a Vietnam e-Visa for US citizens:
- A passport with at least six months of validity from the entry date to Vietnam
- A clear and legible photo in .jpg format of your entire passport data page
- A passport-sized photo in .jpg format, with dimensions of 4x6 cm, a white background, and no glasses
- A valid international credit card to make the required payment for the e-Visa application
- A valid email address to receive notifications related to your e-Visa application
- A temporary address within Vietnam where you will be staying during your visit
- Your planned entry and exit dates, as well as the entry and exit points or airports in Vietnam
Here are the steps on how to get a Vietnam visa for US citizens online:
- Open the official e-visa website: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn
- Click “E-visa issuance”
- Click on “personally apply for E-visa”
- Fill out the online application form by providing the accurate personal information, travel details, and upload the required documents as specified.
- Double-check all the information and make any necessary corrections.
- Make the payment for the e-Visa application (25 USD) using the accepted payment methods provided.
- Submit your completed application form and wait for the processing of your e-Visa. Then, you will receive the e-Visa via email if it is approved.
- Print a copy of your approved e-Visa to carry with you and present it at the checkpoint upon your arrival in Vietnam.
>>> Asia travel: A long list of breathtaking attractions that should not be missed!
For a comfortable trip, it is also crucial to consider the best time to visit Vietnam. The weather depends on the specific region you plan to explore. Don't forget to book flights and accommodations in advance, as popular destinations can get crowded during peak seasons.
Vietnam boasts a rich tapestry of history, culture, and natural beauty. Within this diverse country, you will find a myriad of destinations worth exploring such as Phu Quoc, Ha Long, Nha Trang, Da Nang, Hoi An, etc. Each place offers its own unique experiences and attractions.
Vietnam provides a wide range of accommodation options, catering to various preferences and budgets. Notably, the hotel and resort system of Vinpearl stands out as a prominent choice. With top-notch amenities and high-quality services, Vinpearl guarantees a truly enjoyable and memorable experience.
In conclusion, obtaining a Vietnam visa for US citizens is a straightforward process. Whether it is for a vacation or business trip, having a valid Vietnam visa ensures hassle-free entry and experiences in the S-shaped country. Hopefully, our guidelines will help you successfully obtain a visa for Vietnam.