If you are planning your Vietnam travel in general or Hanoi travel in particular, it is worth looking into the bus stations in Hanoi. These transportation hubs will not only enhance your travel experience but also serve as gateways to other exciting destinations across the country. Read on to discover 6 major Hanoi bus stations.
1. Things to know about the major bus stations in Hanoi
Hanoi, Vietnam capital, is a city that has seen significant development in its economy, especially tourism. Therefore, the bus system here has also been developed to meet the transportation needs of the city's residents, people from other provinces, and even international travelers.
1.1. Nuoc Ngam Bus Station in Hanoi
- Address: Ngoc Hoi Street, Hoang Mai District
- Phone number: 0243 861 5312
Nuoc Ngam Bus Station is a long-standing transportation hub located to the south of the city, at the intersection of several highways leading to various provinces. Because of its strategic location, it is especially convenient for interprovincial travelers, particularly those heading to provinces in the southern region.
Covering an area of 17,800 square meters, this bus station serves around 800 departures daily. Nuoc Ngam Bus Station plays a crucial role in providing transportation from Hanoi to provinces such as Lang Son, Thai Nguyen, Ninh Binh, Ha Tinh, Hung Yen, Nghe An, Thanh Hoa, Gia Lai, and Ho Chi Minh City. Moreover, it is the only bus station in the city that offers international bus routes, specifically buses from Hanoi to Laos and Nanning, China.
1.2. My Dinh Bus Station in Hanoi
- Address: Pham Hung Street, Nam Tu Liem District
- Phone number: 0243 768 5549
My Dinh Bus Station began its operation in 2004 and is one of the largest and most modern bus stations in Hanoi. It has the capacity to accommodate 500-600 buses per day and can serve more than 10,000 passengers day and night. Located at a prime location in Hanoi, My Dinh Bus Station serves as a major bus transit point in the city, connecting various districts in Hanoi.
From My Dinh Bus Station, you can easily catch public buses to various places in the city, with buses departing every 10 minutes. Additionally, you can also board sleeper buses to popular destinations in Vietnam, such as Sapa, Ha Giang, Mai Chau, Moc Chau, Ha Long Bay, Hai Phong, Da Nang, Quang Binh, Nghe An, Ha Tinh, Dak Lak, and more.
1.3. Giap Bat Bus Station in Hanoi
- Address: Giai Phong Street, Hoang Mai District
- Phone number: 0243 864 1467
Giap Bat Bus Station is considered one of the most significant bus stations in Hanoi. Covering an area of approximately 37,000 square meters, it has been in operation since 1989 and has evolved into a major transit hub for thousands of buses and millions of passengers from across the country, with hundreds of bus departures daily.
In addition to serving as a gateway for residents from the southern outskirts of Hanoi, Giap Bat Bus Station primarily specializes in facilitating passenger transfers from Hanoi to southern provinces. From here, you can find buses heading to destinations such as Nam Dinh, Thai Binh, Ninh Binh, Hung Yen, Dak Lak, Da Nang, Thanh Hoa, Hue, Ho Chi Minh City, and more.
1.4. Gia Lam Bus Station in Hanoi
- Address: Ngo Gia Kham Street, Long Bien District
- Phone number: 0243 827 1529
Gia Lam Bus Station is situated about 5 kilometers northeast of Hanoi’s city center. It sees hundreds of buses coming and going daily, offering passengers a variety of reputable bus companies. It primarily serves routes to Quang Ninh, Bac Giang, Hai Phong, Thanh Hoa, Thai Binh, Tuyen Quang, Yen Bai, Ha Giang, and Hung Yen. From here, you can also catch local buses to downtown Hanoi or other destinations in the suburbs.
1.5. Yen Nghia Bus Station in Hanoi
- Address: National Road 6, Ha Dong District
Yen Nghia Bus Station is another well-established transportation hub in Hanoi. It serves as a vital junction for the eastern part of the city. At Yen Nghia Bus Station, in addition to public buses heading into the city center, you can find buses traveling to Hoa Binh, Dien Bien, Kon Tum, Son La, Vung Tau, Hai Phong, and Thanh Hoa.
1.6. Son Tay Bus Station in Hanoi
- Address: Quang Trung Street, Son Tay Town
Son Tay Bus Station is another long-standing bus terminal, located in Son Tay Town, more than 40 kilometers away from Hanoi’s city center. This bus station boasts access to various interprovincial roads, making it suitable for passengers traveling to Hanoi's city center, destinations in the Red River Delta, and the northwestern region of Vietnam. From here, you can catch buses to provinces such as Thai Binh, Thanh Hoa, Bac Kan, Lam Dong, Nam Dinh, and more.
2. Popular routes and buses departing from the bus stations in Hanoi
From any major bus station in Hanoi, you can catch buses to various destinations across Vietnam. Some reputable bus companies in Vietnam include:
- Hanoi to Hai Phong bus or Hanoi to Cat Ba bus: Hoang Long Bus, Hai Phong Travel, Hai Au Bus, Hung Trang Bus, and more.
- From Hanoi bus station to Sapa: Sao Viet Bus, Dong Ly Bus, Hai Hanh Bus, Binh Hoai Bus, Ly Thao Bus, and more.
- From bus stations in Hanoi to Nam Dinh: Truong Son Bus and Phuc Loc Tho Bus.
- From Hanoi bus station to Ninh Binh: Hung Hoa Bus and Thuy Duong Bus.
- Bus from Hanoi to Da Nang: Dai Phat Bus and Van Luc Tung Bus.
- Hanoi to Quang Ninh bus or Hanoi to Halong Bay bus: Kumho Viet Thanh Bus and Quang Nghi Bus.
- Hanoi to Nghe An: Phuc Loi Bus, Van Minh Bus, and Phu Quy Bus.
- Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City: A Ba Bus and Hien Phuoc Bus.
- Hanoi to Dak Lak: Hai Cuong Bus.
- Hanoi to Binh Dinh: Truong Thinh Limousine Bus.
- Hanoi to Thai Nguyen: Truong Son Bus.
- From Hanoi bus station to Ha Giang: Good Morning Cat Ba Bus.
- Hanoi to Quang Binh: Queen Cafe Bus, Thuan Hien Bus, and Khanh Hong Bus.
- From bus stations in Hanoi to Vinh Phuc: Green Limousine Bus and Quang Thang Bus.
- Hanoi to Lai Chau: Khanh Thuy Bus.
- Hanoi to Son La: Pumpkin Bus.
- Bus from Hanoi to Hue: Trekking Bus.
- Hanoi to Bac Kan: An Binh Bus.
- Hanoi to Kon Tum: Viet Tan Bus.
- Hanoi to Ca Mau: Hoang Thin Bus.
- Bus from Hanoi to Hoi An: Queen Cafe Bus.
3. Essential information for visitors coming to a bus station in Hanoi
If you are going to a bus station in Hanoi, consider these tips:
- Keep a close eye on your luggage.
- Book tickets ahead of time.
- Prior to booking tickets, conduct thorough research on the destination, bus route, and bus operator.
- If you want to take a motorbike taxi ride, carefully negotiate the fare.
- Otherwise, you can choose a reputable taxi company or opt for ride-hailing service instead.
After familiarizing yourself with the bus stations in Hanoi, don't forget to explore some iconic attractions in the city, such as Hanoi Old Quarter, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Presidential Palace, Temple of Literature, One Pillar Pagoda, Ta Hien Street, VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium Times City, Dong Xuan Market, Hanoi Opera House, Hoan Kiem Lake, etc.
Moreover, if you are looking to discover the vibrant side of Hanoi, make sure not to miss out on VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium Times City, one of the largest aquariums in Vietnam and an edutainment playground with a variety of interactive games for children. Additionally, visit VinWonders Wave Park & Water Park to immerse in a new water park and grand wave park with a range of refreshing activities, diverse dining options, camping experiences, and much more.
In addition to Hanoi, during your visit to Vietnam, be sure to explore other captivating destinations like Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Ha Long. In these destinations, consider staying at Vinpearl’s exceptional hotels and resorts. The renowned hospitality brand of Vinpearl ensures a world-class stay with various amenities, including spas, swimming pools, shopping centers, restaurants, entertainment complexes, and more.
For even more fun and memories, don't miss out on VinWonders - a chain of entertainment complexes full of endless festivals, thrilling games, and cultural activities.
The bus stations in Hanoi play a pivotal role in facilitating seamless travels within the city and beyond. Whether you are heading to iconic landmarks in Hanoi or embarking on adventures to other provinces, these transportation hubs offer a convenient starting point. With their strategic locations and extensive networks of routes, each bus station in Hanoi ensures that travelers can explore the diverse beauty of Vietnam with ease.