Hanoi is famous for being not only the capital city of Vietnam, but also a tourist destination with many ancient cultural sites. Among them, the craft villages are still preserved and developed today. On your Hanoi travel journey, remember to visit Van Phuc Silk Village, one of the most beautiful and famous silk weaving villages in Vietnam.
1. Van Phuc Silk Village address: How to get there?
Also known as Ha Dong Silk Village, Van Phuc Silk Village is located in Van Phuc Ward, Ha Dong District, Hanoi, on the bank of the gentle Nhue River, more than 10 kilometers away from the city center. To reach the village, you can travel by motorbike with an easy-to-follow route: Nguyen Trai - Le Van Luong - To Huu. It is free to enter the village, you will only need to pay the parking fee.
2. When should you take a Van Phuc Silk Village tour?
Van Phuc Silk Village welcomes visitors all year round. However, the most ideal time to come here is late winter and early spring. At this time, the weather is very pleasant and cool. In particular, November is the time of the culture week in Van Phuc, when you will be immersed in a vibrant space and colorful scenery. The umbrella road and village entrance will be specially decorated, with surrounding yellow lights, making the village look like a miniature Hoi An in Hanoi.
The festival in Van Phuc Silk Village is an opportunity to help both locals and visitors better understand the historical and cultural values of silk weaving.
You may also like:
- Seasons in Vietnam: Different features by region that you may not know
- Vietnamese Reunification Day: Date, History & Celebration Activities
- Female names in Vietnam: 100+ MOST popular names from A to X
3. The long-standing history of Van Phuc Silk Village Vietnam
Van Phuc Silk Village has existed for more than 1000 years. Here, you can find ancient houses, old banyan trees, water wharfs, communal yards, or markets. It was first introduced to the world at the Marseille fair in 1931 and the Paris fair in 1932.
Despite many ups and downs of history, “made in Van Phuc” silk products always have top quality. They are highly appreciated by the French for their meticulousness and sophistication, so they are often exported to Eastern European countries.
Van Phuc silk has a certain toughness and softness, while being no less beautiful and durable. It also has many different patterns, suitable for customers of all tastes. That is why Van Phuc silk has always been in the forefront of Vietnam's textile industry for hundreds of years.
Some of the most iconic silks in Van Phuc Silk Village are:
- Van silk: This is the most typical and famous silk in the village. The most noticeable feature is the shiny appearance of the silk thread. Even without using any polishing technology or machinery, the silk is still extremely smooth, thanks to the ingenuity and meticulousness of skilled and experienced workers. On the silk, you can see a lot of different patterns. If you want an elegant ao dai, Van silk is the number-one choice of fabric.
- Satin silk: Satin is loved by the ladies because it is extremely soft and shiny. It is perfect for bodycon open-back dresses. Moreover, if you wear satin in the summer, you will feel very cool and comfortable. However, satin silk is easy to wrinkle and there will be certain fading after washes. Van Phuc Silk Village is famous for producing sophisticated satin silk.
4. Top 3 tourist attractions in Van Phuc Silk Village Hanoi
4.1. The umbrella road
This is the road leading to the traditional silk village of Van Phuc. It is about 100 meters long, covered with colorful hanging umbrellas, thus making it the ideal check-in place for young people. At night, when the lights are on, the road looks even more magical. Along the two sides of the road are full of silk shops.
4.2. The mural street
The mural street is an unforgettable highlight in Van Phuc Silk Village. It is decorated by a giant mural that recreates the typical scenes of the village, from the banyan tree at the waterfront, the communal yard to the making of silk. This mural was created by the local teachers and people in the village. It is at the center of the village.
Articles for you:
- Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street: A popular spot for fun-filled weekends
- Ta Hien Street Hanoi: Have a chilled night with cold beer and street food
- Discover 13 of the many exciting places to visit near Hanoi for travelers
4.3. Van Phuc Pagoda
As soon as you enter the village, you will see the ancient Van Phuc Pagoda. The pagoda has existed for hundreds of years. The features here are the ancient banyan tree, the lotus flower, and the wooden bridge. Coming to the temple, visitors will feel relaxed and peaceful, away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Besides Van Phuc Silk Village, there are many other attractions in Hanoi that you should visit, such as Hoan Kiem Lake, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hanoi Old Quarter, Hanoi Opera House, Presidential Palace, and especially VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium.
The aquarium is likened to a miniature ocean, with 3 million cubic meters of seawater and more than 30,000 sea creatures. As the first aquarium with a tunnel in Hanoi, Vinpearl Aquarium consists of 3 subdivisions, namely the freshwater area, reptile area, and saltwater area. There are also many performances that you can see and interact with through glass panes.
On the other hand, VinKE is a perfect place for families with young children. With a total area of up to 6,000 square meters, it offers many educational games, creating a play and learn space for children. The highlight of VinKE is the numerous job simulation activities, such as: Fire Department, Public Security, Military Academy, VinKE Hospital, Kid Chef, Post Office, etc. Through these games, children will gain foundational knowledge about their future careers.
>>> Book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium now to get attractive deals!
Besides Hanoi, Vietnam has a lot of other attractive destinations like Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, etc. For each destination that you intend to go visit, it is recommended that you plan where to stay in advance to have the best experience. One of the top choices for accommodation in Vietnam is Vinpearl - the top-rated brand of hospitality with high-class services that is present in most touristy cities.
Van Phuc Silk Village is known as one of the oldest silk weaving villages in Vietnam. It attracts a large number of domestic and foreign tourists each year. Hopefully with the above information, you can better plan your trip to the silk village.
>>> Don’t forget to book tickets of VinKE & Vinpearl Aquarium after visiting Van Phuc Silk Village!