A trip to another continent can be exciting, but it is crucial to have all the necessary papers before you go! "Do Canadian need visa for Vietnam?" is one of the first questions to research if you plan to visit this beautiful Asian country from Canada. This comprehensive Vietnam travel guide will answer your question in detail.
1. Do Canadian need visa for Vietnam? How long can a Canadian stay in Vietnam?
So, do Canadian need visa for Vietnam? In a nutshell, yes. Canadians need a valid visa to enter Vietnam. However, according to Vietnam travel requirements, a visa exemption certificate can be granted to those who are:
- Vietnamese people living abroad
- Foreigners who are spouses or children of Vietnamese citizens/Vietnamese people living abroad
Otherwise, a Vietnam visa is required. How long you can stay in the country depends on the type of visa you apply for. Currently, 7 types of visas are available for Canadian passport holders:
- Tourist visa: 30-day single entry visa
- Business visa:
- 1-month single entry visa
- 1-month multiple entry visa
- 3-month single entry visa
- 3-month multiple entry visa
- Transit visa
- Work visa
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, Canadian citizens could apply for a tourist visa on arrival (VOA), which allowed them to stay for more than a month. For the time being, though, a tourist visa is only valid for up to 30 days. Make sure you plan your trip within the permitted duration.
>>> For the most wonderful trip, check out our complete guide on travel to Vietnam from Canada!
2. How to apply for a Vietnam visa from Canada?
Now that the question “Do Canadian need visa for Vietnam?” has been answered, let’s guide you through how to get a Vietnamese visa. Fortunately, this process is very simple and straightforward. There are two ways to obtain a Canadian to Vietnam visa: Apply through the Vietnamese Embassy in Canada or apply online for an e-Visa:
2.1. Vietnam Embassy Canada visa application
- Passport: Valid for at least 6 months from your arrival date in Vietnam
- Photos: Two photos in standard passport size (4x6 cm or 2x2 inches)
- Visa application form
- Visa approval letter: Only required if you apply for a business visa
- Visa fee: Each type of visa has a different fee
A tourist visa is $25, a business visa is $80-$105, a transit visa is $15, and a work visa is $110-$250.
In case you have difficulty applying in person, you can submit your application via email. Just send the following documents to [email protected]:
- A scanned version of your passport
- A digital color photo
- A visa application form
- A credit card charge form
Using this method, you will get your visa application result within 5-7 working days.
2.2. Vietnam e-visa for Canadian application
A more convenient way is to get an e-visa for Vietnam online. Since this type of visa is only valid for a maximum of 30 days, it is suitable only if you plan to have a short stay in the country. E-visa requirements for Vietnam for Canadian citizens include:
- A high-quality photo of your passport in .jpg format (similar to a standard visa, an e-visa also requires your passport to have 6 months of validity)
- Your photo in .jpg format (white background, 4x6, without hats or glasses)
- A working debit or credit card to make payments
- An email address
- A temporary address in Vietnam
- Dates of arrival and departure
The process of applying for an e-visa consists of 4 simple steps, which can be done from the comfort of your home:
- Step 1: Visit the official website for e-visa issuance
- Step 2: Click the link “for foreigners” and read through the brief instructions before proceeding.
- Step 3: Fill in the required information
- Step 4: Double-check your information, then pay the application fee using a valid credit or debit card, which is $25
- Step 5: Wait for the result; you can check the application status using your registration code, registration email, and date of birth
In most cases, the processing time is up to 3 working days. Once your e-visa is approved, print it out and carry a copy with you when you travel to Vietnam.
>>> Have a few extra days on your itinerary? Explore more destinations with our Southeast Asia travel guide!
Once you have obtained your visa, consider the best time to visit Vietnam. Generally, you should visit the country during the spring and autumn months, which span from February to April and September to November. These seasons offer the most favorable weather conditions across the country.
When to plan your trip also depends on your preferred destinations. Vietnam is a diverse country with a wealth of destinations to explore, such as Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Da Nang, and Ha Long. Each has its own peak season, so don't forget to do some research if you want to get the most out of your trip.
Finally, for the best experience, it is recommended that you stay at one of Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts. Here, you can immerse yourself in world-class facilities, enjoy exquisite dining options, indulge in rejuvenating spa treatments, and partake in an array of recreational activities. With a dedication to outstanding service, Vinpearl ensures an unforgettable stay for travelers seeking sophistication, comfort, and a taste of Vietnamese hospitality at its finest.
With this comprehensive guide, the question “Do Canadian need visa for Vietnam?” will not bug you anymore! The two countries may be separated by distance, but that doesn't mean you should miss out on all the wonders Vietnam has to offer.
Though a visa is required for entry, the process is straightforward, whether applying through the embassy or opting for an online e-visa. Note that the requirements and application process may change, so it is always a good idea to double-check the latest information before planning your trip. With some preparation, you will be ready for an adventure of a lifetime!