"Where is Ho Chi Minh City?" and "How do I get there?" are some popular questions of tourists about Ho Chi Minh City - a lively metropolis in southern Vietnam renowned for its history, cuisine, and lifestyle. This article is a guide to this city with some useful information for a wonderful Ho Chi Minh itinerary.
1. Where is Ho Chi Minh City? Is Ho Chi Minh City in the North or South of Vietnam?
Ho Chi Minh City is a city located in southern Vietnam and is the country’s largest city with a rapid growth rate. Ho Chi Minh City has an estimated population of 8,993,082 people and has the highest population density in Vietnam. The city’s rich history spans over 300 years, making it home to many sophisticated ancient architectural works, monuments, and a rich museum system. Due to its diverse culture, it is a popular tourist destination for both domestic and international visitors.
The city is bordered by Binh Duong to the north, Tay Ninh to the northwest, Dong Nai and Ba Ria - Vung Tau to the east, and Long An and Tien Giang to the west and southwest, respectively. With its favorable geographical location, Saigon - once known as the "Pearl of the Far East" - has become a commercial center and a melting pot of many ethnic groups, each with its own beliefs and cultural nuances contributing to the diverse cultural scene. It is situated at the international crossroads of major sea routes from North to South and from East to West, making it the economic, cultural, and educational center of Vietnam.
>>> Read more: Time in Ho Chi Minh City: Things to know before taking a long-haul travel
2. Why should you travel to Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam once in a lifetime?
After the question “Where is Ho Chi Minh City?”, here are some reasons why if you do not visit this city, you will regret it for the rest of your life:
- Experience the charming chaotic vibe: Ho Chi Minh City is the largest city in Vietnam and a bustling commercial center, but it also offers a uniquely thrilling and exhilarating atmosphere that can't be found anywhere else in the country.
- Explore vibrant markets: The city boasts several lively markets, including the historic Ben Thanh Market with over 3,000 stalls. These markets are perfect for immersing yourself in local handicrafts and Vietnamese culture.
- Indulge in deliciously innovative food: Sai Gon cuisine offers an impressive selection of both traditional and innovative dishes. Don't miss the chance to try popular dishes like banh mi Saigon (Saigonese bread), coffee, com tam (Vietnamese broken rice), and more.
- Discover local history: Saigon is rich in historical sites such as the War Remnants Museum, Independence Palace, and Cu Chi Tunnels, making it an ideal destination for both history enthusiasts and those looking to learn more about Vietnam's past.
- Marvel at impressive architecture: The city's architecture is a reflection of Saigonese creativity and development, with notable Ho Chi Minh attractions including Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, Saigon Central Post Office, and Landmark 81 Vietnam.
- Experience thriving nightlife: Ho Chi Minh City comes alive at night, with various cafes, bars, lakes, and bridges filled with a vibrant crowd. Don't miss out on the lively atmosphere of Bui Vien Walking Street and Nguyen Hue Street.
>>> Discover: Places to visit in Ho Chi Minh City: Top 11+ destinations to head to
3. The distance from Ho Chi Minh City to famous destinations in Vietnam
Where is Ho Chi Minh City? How far is it from the city to other places? All you need to know will be revealed below.
3.1. To Northern tourist attractions
- Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi distance: 1720 kilometers, with Hanoi - Ho Chi Minh flights taking about 2 hours and 10 minutes.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Sapa: The distance between these two places is about 2003 kilometers. To visit Sapa from Ho Chi Minh City or vice versa, you must fly to Hanoi in 2 hours and get to Sapa by bus or train in 5 hours.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Ninh Binh: The distance is 1624 kilometers, which requires Ho Chi Minh flights to Hanoi or Thanh Hoa, then a drive to Ninh Binh in 1 to 2 hours.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Long Bay: It is 1721 kilometers. You can fly from Ho Chi Minh City to Hai Phong or Hanoi, then drive 50 minutes or 2.5 hours, respectively, to get there.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Hai Phong: The distance is 1798 kilometers. There are direct Hai Phong - Ho Chi Minh flights in 2 hours.
3.2. To Central tourist attractions
- Ho Chi Minh City to Quang Binh: The distance between the two cities is 1097 kilometers, with some direct flights taking 1.5 hours.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Hue: It is a 1047-kilometer route, and you can fly directly between these two destinations in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Hoi An: The distance is 937 kilometers. To get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City, you can choose flights or trains to get to Da Nang, then get to Hoi An by car, bus, or motorbike.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang: The 960-kilometer route from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang can be reached by train or flight in 16 hours or 1 hour and 20 minutes, respectively.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Quy Nhon: The distance is 630 kilometers, requiring flights in 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang: It is a 430-kilometer route, and you can fly or drive between the two cities in about 1 hour and 6 hours, respectively.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Mui Ne: The distance is about 200 kilometers and can be reached in 3 hours by car or motorbike.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Da Lat: It is about 275 kilometers, and you need to spend about 6 hours going by car and 50 minutes flying from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Lat.
3.3. To Southern tourist attractions
- Ho Chi Minh City to Mekong Delta distance: The average distance between Ho Chi Minh City and different cities in the Mekong Delta is over 100 kilometers, a quite short distance, which is convenient for tourists in Ho Chi Minh City to discover the Mekong Delta area. The Ho Chi Minh - Can Tho distance is 170 kilometers, Ho Chi Minh - Ben Tre is 86 kilometers, Ho Chi Minh - Ca Mau is 309 kilometers, etc.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Phu Quoc: The distance is about 390 kilometers with a 1-hour flight.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau: The distance is 96 kilometers, with a 2-3-hour drive.
- Ho Chi Minh City to Tay Ninh: It is an 88-kilometer route in about 2 hours if going by car or motorbike.
>>> Read more: Ho Chi Minh City Airport: The largest international airport in Vietnam
Selecting the right accommodation can make or break your Vietnam travel experience. To ensure that you have a comfortable and unforgettable vacation, look no further than Vinpearl Hotels and Resorts. With locations in several popular tourist destinations, Vinpearl is among the best-rated accommodations in the country. Featuring world-class amenities such as spas, shopping malls, restaurants, swimming pools, golf courses, and edutainment complexes, Vinpearl promises to deliver an exceptional stay that meets international standards.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, and Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to enjoy a luxury stay in Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City is a vibrant and bustling metropolis in southern Vietnam, where visitors can experience a charmingly chaotic atmosphere, bustling markets, deliciously inventive food, local Vietnamese history, and stunning architecture. So, where is Ho Chi Minh City? It is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Vietnam, and it promises to leave a lasting impression on all who visit.
>>> Book rooms in Vinpearl Phu Quoc, Vinpearl Nha Trang, Vinpearl Hoi An, Vinpearl Resort & Spa Da Nang, and Vinpearl Resort & Spa Ha Long to have a truly unforgettable stay in Vietnam
>>> Book voucher, combo, tour to Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Da Nang, and discover a beautiful Vietnam in your own way