Are you planning a memorable trip in the Mekong Delta? Look no further! Our comprehensive Vietnam travel guide presents the ultimate South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks. From the bustling streets of Ho Chi Minh City to the floating markets of Vung Tau and the peaceful countryside of Dong Thap, this region promises plenty of adventures to fulfill your wanderlust. Pack your bags and get ready to explore this melting pot of culture!
1. When is the best time for the South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks?
When to embark on your South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks depends on various factors, such as weather preferences, favorite activities, and personal interests. Generally, this region has a tropical climate with two main seasons: dry and rainy.
The dry season, which runs from November to April, is considered the best time to visit South Vietnam. During these months, the region enjoys warm temperatures and lower humidity levels. It is an ideal time for outdoor activities and visiting popular tourist destinations like Vung Tau and Phu Quoc.
The rainy season, spanning from May to October, brings higher humidity and frequent rainfall. While this might deter some travelers, it has its own advantages. The countryside becomes lush and vibrant, and the rainfall often occurs in short bursts, offering refreshing moments between showers.
The weather patterns can vary from year to year, so it is advisable to check the forecast before planning your trip.
>>> Want to explore other regions as well? Check out our complete guide to the best time to visit Vietnam!
2. Recommendations for the South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks
It is recommended to spend at least 2 weeks in South Vietnam to fully experience all that the region has to offer. Below are our recommendations for a South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks, which begins in Ho Chi Minh City and finishes in Phu Quoc Island.
2.1. Ho Chi Minh City for the South Vietnam 2-week itinerary (3 days)
Formerly known as Saigon, the dazzling Ho Chi Minh City offers a compelling blend of history, culture, and metropolis ambiance. With this suggested 3-day itinerary, you can get the most out of Ho Chi Minh City:
- Morning: Start your day by visiting the historic Cu Chi Tunnels, located 40 kilometers away from the city center, a system of underground tunnels used during the Second Indochina War.
- Afternoon: Head back to the city and visit the War Remnants Museum, which provides a poignant insight into the war. Gain a deeper understanding of the war's impact through its exhibits and displays.
- Evening: Take a leisurely stroll along Nguyen Hue Street, a pedestrian street adorned with beautiful city views, shopping opportunities, and various dining options.
- Morning: Begin your day at Saigon Central Post Office, an architectural gem featuring French colonial design, which was designed by Gustave Eiffel, the mastermind behind the Eiffel Tower.
- Afternoon: Visit the iconic Ben Thanh Market, a bustling destination where you can find a wide range of local goods, handicrafts, and delicious street food.
- Evening: Explore Bui Vien Walking Street, an area known for its vibrant nightlife. Immerse in the energetic ambiance, dine at local restaurants, and experience the nightlife of Ho Chi Minh City like a local.
- Morning: Visit Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral, a beautiful Catholic church with neo-Romanesque architecture. Marvel at its stunning stained glass windows and tranquil atmosphere.
- Afternoon: Discover the unique Tan Dinh Church, another impressive architectural gem in Ho Chi Minh City. Admire its pink exterior and intricate details.
- Evening: Explore the Independence Palace, which played a significant role in Vietnam's history. Take a guided tour to learn about its historical importance and explore its well-preserved exhibits.
- Visit Landmark 81, the tallest building in Vietnam, for panoramic city views from its observation deck.
- Explore Ton Duc Thang Museum to learn about the life and legacy of President Ton Duc Thang.
- Visit Hoang Phap Buddhist Temple, where you can experience serenity and learn about Vietnamese Buddhism.
2.2. Vung Tau for the Southern Vietnam 2-week trip (2 days)
Next on the South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks is Vung Tau - a coastal destination that boasts breathtaking ocean views, picturesque mountains, and plenty of historical sites to explore.
- Morning: Get a sunrise dip at Front Beach - one of the most beloved Vung Tau beaches. Enjoy a leisurely stroll along the shore, dip your toes in the clear water, and bask in the sun.
- Afternoon: Embark on a leisurely boat ride at the Green Stone Lake and immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature. This is one of the best things to do in Vung Tau.
- Evening: Climb up Vung Tau Lighthouse for panoramic views of the city and the surrounding coastline. Capture stunning sunset vistas and take in the mesmerizing beauty of the sea.
- Morning: Explore Ho May Park, a scenic hilltop park that offers a range of activities. Take a cable car ride to the top and enjoy panoramic views of Vung Tau.
- Afternoon: Head to Back Beach, known for its calmer waters and tranquil atmosphere. Spend the afternoon swimming, sunbathing, or engaging in water sports activities like jet skiing or paddleboarding.
- Evening: Spend your evening strolling along the beach, enjoying the lively atmosphere and street food stalls. Immerse yourself in the local culture and sample some of Vung Tau's culinary delights.
2.3. Tay Ninh for the Southern Vietnam 14-day itinerary (2 days)
As a new icon of tourism in the Southeastern region, Tay Ninh is a haven for those interested in Vietnam's rich cultural and spiritual heritage.
- Morning: Begin your Tay Ninh adventure with a visit to the magnificent Cao Dai Temple. Witness the vibrant ceremonies and immerse yourself in the spiritual atmosphere of Caodaism.
- Afternoon: Head to Ba Den Mountain, a sacred site revered by locals. Take a cable car ride to the summit and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Evening: Return to Tay Ninh and relax for the evening, indulging in the local cuisine at a restaurant or trying street food delicacies.
- Morning: Venture to Ma Thien Lanh Valley, a hidden gem nestled amidst lush greenery. Experience the serenity and natural wonders that this picturesque valley offers.
- Afternoon: Continue your journey with a visit to Dau Tieng Lake. Enjoy a boat ride on the tranquil waters, surrounded by scenic views and verdant hills.
- Evening: Spend the evening exploring local markets or interacting with friendly locals. Immerse yourself in the warm hospitality the place has to offer.
2.4. Dong Thap for the South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks (2 days)
Dong Thap, a province in the Mekong Delta, has vast rice fields, charming lotus ponds, and lush fruit orchards. Dong Thap’s picturesque landscapes provide a tranquil escape for visitors.
- Morning: Explore Tram Chim National Park's diverse ecosystems, including wetlands and marshes. Take a boat ride to observe the rich birdlife, including the majestic Sarus Crane, and immerse yourself in the serenity of nature.
- Afternoon: Head to Go Thap Archaeological Site, an ancient complex with historical relics and artifacts. Discover ancient temples, pagodas, and remnants of the ancient Oc Eo culture, gaining insights into Dong Thap's rich history.
- Evening: Visit Huynh Thuy Le Ancient House, an enchanting 19th-century house that inspired the famous novel and film "The Lover". Marvel at its architectural beauty and learn about the intriguing history behind the house.
- Morning: Explore Lai Vung Garden Fruit, renowned for its vastness and diverse fruits. Enjoy a walk amidst the trees, taste the seasonal fruits, and learn about the region's agricultural practices.
- Afternoon: Return to Dong Thap and spend the afternoon exploring local markets and shops. Purchase traditional crafts, souvenirs, and local products.
- Evening: Conclude your Dong Thap itinerary by indulging in a sumptuous dinner featuring regional delicacies. immerse yourself in the flavors of Dong Thap’s cuisine.
2.5. Can Tho for the South Vietnam 2-week itinerary (2 days)
There are many reasons to add Can Tho to your South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks. As the hub of commerce and tourism in the Mekong Delta region, Can Tho offers plenty of unique experiences.
- Morning: Get up early and head to Cai Rang Floating Market, one of the largest and most vibrant floating markets in the Mekong Delta. Immerse yourself in the bustling atmosphere, as boats filled with fresh produce and local goods navigate the waterways.
- Afternoon: Visit Binh Thuy Ancient House, a beautifully preserved French colonial house with unique architectural features. Explore the elegant interior, admire the antique furniture, and learn about the fascinating history of the house and its owners.
- Evening: Head to Ninh Kieu Wharf, a popular riverside spot in Can Tho. Enjoy a relaxing walk along the waterfront promenade, soak in the scenic views of the Hau River, and savor the delicious local street food.
- Morning: Take a boat ride to Con Son Islet, a tranquil retreat nestled amidst the Mekong River. Explore the lush gardens, visit Con Son Pagoda, and soak in the serene ambiance of this peaceful islet.
- Afternoon: Visit My Khanh Tourist Village, where you can experience the local lifestyle. Take part in traditional activities such as fishing, rice noodle making, and riding a sampan boat.
- Evening: Witness the awe-inspiring sight of thousands of storks at Bang Lang Stork Sanctuary. Observe these magnificent birds returning to their nests during sunset, creating a captivating spectacle.
- Canton Assembly Hall Of Can Tho: Explore the ornate architecture and intricate decorations of this Chinese assembly hall, showcasing the cultural heritage of the Chinese community in Can Tho.
- Luu Huu Phuoc Park: Enjoy a retreat at this scenic park, featuring beautiful gardens, serene ponds, and walking paths. This will be a highlight in your South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks.
- Munirensay Temple, Quang Duc Pagoda, and Song Hau Park: If you have extra time, these religious and natural sites offer additional opportunities for cultural immersion and relaxation.
2.6. Phu Quoc for the South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks (3 days)
Wrap up your South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks with a tranquil escape to Phu Quoc. The pearl island of Vietnam provides numerous opportunities for relaxation, wellness, and endless fun under the sun.
- Morning: Visit Grand World Phu Quoc. Explore amusement parks, enjoy thrilling rides, and immerse yourself in the many exciting attractions it offers.
- Afternoon: Head to Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc, a captivating safari park where you can observe exotic wildlife up close. Embark on a safari tour, watch animal shows, and connect with nature in this immersive experience.
- Evening: Unwind and relax at Long Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in Phu Quoc. Enjoy the soft sands, swim in the turquoise waters, and witness the breathtaking sunset.
- Morning: Take a boat trip to May Rut Island, known for its pristine beaches and vibrant marine life. Snorkel to see the coral reefs, relax on the sandy shores, and soak in the natural beauty of the island.
- Afternoon: Explore the charm of Ham Ninh Fishing Village. Walk along the pier, sample fresh seafood at local eateries, and witness the traditional fishing activities that have been passed down through generations.
- Evening: Experience the lively atmosphere of Phu Quoc Night Market. Indulge in the local street food, shop for souvenirs, and soak in the vibrant ambiance of this bustling market.
- Morning: Visit Su Muon Pagoda, a beautiful Buddhist temple known for its intricate architecture and serene surroundings. Take a moment for reflection and enjoy the spiritual ambiance.
- Afternoon: Discover the natural beauty of Tranh Stream, a scenic attraction featuring waterfalls and lush greenery. Take a refreshing dip in the calm waters, enjoy the peaceful environment, and capture memorable photos.
- Evening: Explore the historical significance of Phu Quoc by visiting Phu Quoc Prison. Learn about the island's past during the war and gain insights into the historical context.
- Enjoy a day of excitement and entertainment at VinWonders Phu Quoc, a premier theme park. Immerse yourself in thrilling rides, engaging shows, and immersive experiences that offer fun for visitors of all ages.
- Spend some relaxing time at Ong Lang Beach, another stunning beach in Phu Quoc. Enjoy the tranquility, take a leisurely swim, or simply unwind by the shore.
- Visit Starfish Beach, where you can witness an abundance of starfish along the shore. Take in the unique beauty of these creatures and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
Depending on your pace and interests, you can adjust your South Vietnam trip itinerary to allocate more time to each city or add more places to the list. If you seek some exciting experiences along the way, drop by VinWonders. With a diverse array of entertainment options, including thrilling rides, captivating shows, etc., VinWonders promise unforgettable memories for you and your loved ones.
Visiting southern Vietnam, tourists have various accommodation options, ranging from cheap to luxurious. For the most enjoyable retreat, you should experience the exceptional service at Vinpearl’s hotels and resorts. These properties deliver world-class amenities, including gourmet dining options and rejuvenating spas. Treat yourself to an extraordinary stay that combines comfort, luxury, and a true sense of Vietnamese hospitality!
Our expertly crafted South Vietnam itinerary 2 weeks opens the doors to a captivating journey. From the bustling streets of Ho Chi Minh City to the picturesque landscapes of the Mekong Delta, this itinerary promises an immersive experience, so you won’t have to wonder “What to do in Vietnam in 14 days?” anymore. Plan your trip today, book your flight, and get ready to embark on an adventure that will leave you with cherished memories for years to come!